Situated in a stand of white pine and northern hardwoods on the Sacandaga River, this serene campground offers the camper a wide selection of fishing and hiking on nearby state lands. The campground offers a Junior Naturalist Program, a nature based program that encourages children to explore the surrounding environment.
Camping Fee: $20
Directions: From NYS Thruway (I-90), Exit 27 at Amsterdam and follow Route 30 north approximately 40 miles. Sacandaga Public Campground is located on the left side of the road.
Amenities: 143 campsites (some designated as accessible for the mobility impaired), picnic area with tables and fireplaces (some designated as accessible for the mobility impaired), hot showers/flush toilets (some designated as accessible for the mobility impaired), trailer dump station, boat launch on back side of Algonquin Lake, recycling center, pay telephone.
Boating: This facility does not have a boat launching site, as the river is not suitable for navigation by normal sized boats. However during periods of high or “white” water, usually in the spring, the river is used by kayakers and canoeists between the Hamlets of Wells and Northville. Boat launch , boating and canoeing on Algonquin Lake.
Fishing: Fish in the area include: brown trout, rainbow trout, brook trout, walleye and smallmouth bass.
Hiking: Auger Falls – located approximately 10 miles north of the campground on Route 30 is known for its beauty. A relatively easy hike of 1.5 miles brings you to the falls. Northville-Lake Placid Trail, a 133 mile long hiking trail is nearby.
Day Use Facilities: A picnic area is available. No swimming beach is available.
Area Attractions: Shopping, restaurants, movie theaters, and golf courses nearby.
Historic Interest: Camping at this area was well established before development as a campground was begun in 1920. Known locally as “The Forks”, it was a popular and well developed stop over camping site when limited traveling conditions required such areas. In 1923 it was considered as being the largest and best equipped of any of the campgrounds available at the time. Much of the campground was developed by the Civilian Conservation Corps during the 1930’s, with modernization being made during the years afterward.