Special Campground Rules for Memorial Day Weekend
For those of you going camping this Memorial Day weekend, please be aware of special campground rules that are observed at the DEC-operated campgrounds.
The Memorial Day campground registration policies, which have been in effect the past several years, include:
- Only registered campers will be allowed into DEC campground facilities between 8 p.m. and 8 a.m.
- Campers at Caroga Lake, Hearthstone Point, Northampton Beach, Moffitt Beach, Rogers Rock and Sacandaga Public Campgrounds will be required to fill out registration forms and list each member of their camping party upon arrival. Only registered campers will be admitted to the campgrounds; and
- ID bracelets will be issued to registered campers at the six campgrounds listed above to help curtail unauthorized entry. Campers must wear the bracelets throughout their stay.
- No visitors or day users will be allowed at Northampton Beach Campground, Hearthstone Point Campground, or Rogers Rock Campground except for the day use and boat launch areas of Northampton Beach and the boat launch at Rogers Rock.
- Beer balls and kegs are prohibited in the campgrounds during the holiday weekend.
DEC will strictly enforce regulations governing alcohol use, including a zero tolerance policy for underage drinking. No one under 21 years of age will be allowed to possess alcoholic beverages within a DEC campground. Individuals 21 or older who possess or drink alcoholic beverages must produce appropriate identification and proof of age upon demand by a campground facility supervisor, park ranger or any peace or police officer.
Violating any campground rules or regulations is grounds for removal from the facility and denial of re-entry. Entry fees will not be refunded.
DEC operates 52 campgrounds in the Adirondack and Catskill forest preserves. The summer camping season runs through Labor Day, although some facilities will remain open during fall foliage and hunting seasons.