Historical Sites

This area is rich in history. Here are many of the area’s most important historical sites, as well as links to the history of the lake’s surrounding towns and villages.

The Adirondack Park
The Great Sacandaga Lake

The Batchellerville Bridge

The Batchellerville Bridge was originally constructed in 1930 when the Hudson River Regulation District built the Conklingville Dam and the area was flooded to form the Great Sacandaga Lake. The bridge has faced several stages of reconstruction and repairs over the years, but remains a beautiful land mark for the area. The Batchellerville Bridge has created many wonderful post cards. Use the this link to view an article on the bridge posted by New York State’s Department of Transportation.

View Map

Great Sacandaga Lake

Location: 43° 12.548′ N, 74° 4.913′ W. Marker is in Batchellerville, New York, in Fulton County on South Shore Road (County Route 7), on the right when traveling south. Marker is posted across the street from the Batchellerville Presbyterian Church.

Erected by: the Town of Edinburg

Marker reads: “Created in 1930 as the Sacandaga Reservoir. Ten communities were lost or partially lost to the rising waters.”

View Map

Frenchmans Creek

Location: 43° 6.298′ N, 74° 9.751′ W. Marker is in Broadalbin, New York, in Fulton County on Route 110. This marker is located on the south side of Route 110, north, out of the village of Broadalbin where the creek crosses the highway.

Erected in: 1933 by the State Education Department

Marker reads: “In 1810 Duncan McMartin on this creek built a saw, grist and woolen mill. He was surveyor, lawyer, judge court common pleas 1813, Later elected State Senator”

View Map

Hans’ Creek

Location: 43° 7.215′ N, 74° 8.659′ W. Marker is in Broadalbin, New York, in Fulton County on Route 110. This marker is located north on Route 110, beyond the settlement of North Broadalbin and near the settlement known as Benedict Corners. Here the road makes a turn and near by Hans Creek crosses. ( Note: this maker is somewhat hidden by the trees around it. It is located on the south side of the road by the creek.).

Erected in: 1929 by the State Education Department.

Marker reads: “Named by Sir Wm Johnson after a fishing trip with John Conye who fell out of the boat and nearly drowned. Hans being the name for John”

View Map

Home of Robert W. Chambers

Location: 43° 3.706′ N, 74° 11.89′ W. Marker is in Broadalbin, New York, in Fulton County at the intersection of North Main Street and North Street on North Main Street. This marker, located in the village of Broadalbin, is at the gate entrance to his old estate, just a few feet from the intersection of N. Main and North Street (route 117) on the North side.

Erected by: the Town of Broadalbin

Marker reads: “Home Of Robert W. Chambers 1865-1933 Famous Author, Illustrator, and Amateur Entomologist”

View Map

Hotel Broadalbin

Location: 43° 3.424′ N, 74° 11.964′ W. Marker is in Broadalbin, New York, in Fulton County. Marker is on West Main Street (County Route 155), on the right when traveling east.

Erected in: 1975 by Fulton County Bicentennial Commission.

Marker reads: “Hotel Broadalbin built 1854, added to 1881 & 1924 Served as gloveshop, hotel, hospital and present hotel”

View Map

Locust Grove

Location: 43° 4.907′ N, 74° 10.761′ W. Marker is in Broadalbin, New York, in Fulton County. Marker is on Route 30 just from Goodemote Road.

Erected by: Broadalbin Historical Society.

Marker reads: “1805 home of Col. Tiffany Brockway. War of 1812 veteran abolitionist. Used as a stop on underground railroad for fugitive slaves going North.”

View Map

Marvin House

Location: 43° 8.735′ N, 74° 7.82′ W. Marker is in Broadalbin, New York, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of County Route 110 and Route 109 on County Route 110. As you enter the Fish House Hamlet, this marker is on the north side of Route 110 and west of the intersection of 109 and 110.

Erected in: 1939 by the State Education Department.

Marker reads: “Built 1815, site Sir Wm Johnson’s Fish House by David Marvin, Conn. Rev. soldier; his son Dr. L.I. Marvin, Assemblyman 1840 from Fulton Co. House moved 1929”

View Map

Site of Dutch Reformed Church

Location: 43° 2.937′ N, 74° 13.406′ W. Marker is near Broadalbin, New York, in Fulton County. Marker is on Route 155. This marker is one quarter of a mile pass Route 30, on Route 155 (Extension of West Main Street, Broadalbin) and located on the North side of 155.

Marker reads: “Site of Dutch Reformed Church of New Haerlem Founded 1792 and Historic Church Cemetery 1805-1871”

View Map

Veterans Hall

Location: 43° 3.566′ N, 74° 11.793′ W. Marker is in Broadalbin, New York, in Fulton County. Marker is on Main Street.

Erected by: R L Walsh Post.

Marker reads: “J.B. McKean Post G.A.R. first met here February 23, 1891. R.L. Walsh Post Am. Leg. first met here September 19, 1919. 108 years serving America.”

View Map

Fish House Covered Bridge

Location: 43° 8.735′ N, 74° 7.794′ W. Marker is near Fish House, New York, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of South Shore Road (County Route 110) and Fish House Road (County Route 109), on the right when traveling south on South Shore Road.

Erected in: 1932 by the New York State Education Department.

Marker reads: “Erected 1818, by state, at Fish House over Sacandaga River. D. Stewart, builder. Jacob Shew, Assemblyman. Torn down 1930. 2000 Ft. North”

View Map

Colonial Cemetary

Location: 43° 0.479′ N, 74° 22.422′ W. Marker is in Johnstown, New York, in Fulton County. Marker is on West Green Street near W. State Street & N. William Street (New York Route 29), on the right when traveling west.

Erected in: 1932 by the New York State Education Department.

Marker reads: “Colonial Cemetery Remains of many Johnstown notables of colonial and revolutionary days buried here”

View Map

Colonial Court House

Location: 43° 0.398′ N, 74° 22.463′ W. Marker is in Johnstown, New York, in Fulton County. Marker is on North William Street (New York Route 29) near W. Main Street (New York Route 67), on the right when traveling south. The marker is on the lawn beside the sidewalk leading to the steps of the court house.

Erected in: 1932 by the New York State Education Department.

Marker reads: “Erected 1772 Only Colonial Court House In State of New York First Court General Sessions, Tryon County, September 8, 1772”

View Map

Johnson Hall

Location: 43° 0.716′ N, 74° 22.825′ W. Marker is in Johnstown, New York, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of West State Street (New York Route 29) and Hall Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West State Street. The marker is located on the point of an accute triangle formed between West State Street (Rt29) and the road leading to Johnson Hall, Hall Avenue in Johnstown, New York.

Erected in: 1936 by the New York State Education Department.

Marker reads: “Baronial Home of Sir William Johnson Erected 1762 Open to Visitors”

This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.

View Map

Johnson Hall – 1763

Location: 43° 0.401′ N, 74° 22.44′ W. Marker is in Johnstown, New York, in Fulton County. Marker is on North William Street (New York Route 29) near W. Main Street (New York Route 67), on the right when traveling north. Marker located in the grassy area between pakring lots across the street from the Fulton County Court House in Johnstown.

Erected in: 1965 by the New York State Education Department.

Marker reads: “Historic New York Johnson Hall – 1763 Johnstown

Sir William Johnson (1715-1774), Indian trader, statesman,diplomat and Colonial Empire Builder, in 1763 built Johnson Hall, the center of his estate and the scene of many Indian conferences.

Coming from Ireland in 1738, Johnson traded with the Indians and acquired great influence over them. After defeating the French at Lake George in 1755, he was created a baronet and made Superintendent of Indian Affairs for the northern Colonies. In 1766 he ended the Pontiac uprising, and in 1768 negotiated the Treaty of Fort Stanwix.

At Johnstown, which he founded and colonized, Johnson Hall stands as a monument to his constructive achievement.”

View Map

The Drumm House

Location: 43° 0.478′ N, 74° 22.458′ W. Marker is in Johnstown, New York, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of West Green Street and West State Street (New York Route 29), on the right when traveling west on West Green Street. The marker and Drumm House are located north of the three-way intersection of North William Street (Rt 29) and West State Street (Rt 29) and a side street, West Green Street.

Erected by: the New York State Education Department.

Marker reads: “1763 The Drumm House Home of Edward Wall School Master Sir William Johnson’s Free School”

View Map

Captain Solomon Woodworth & Sergeant John Dunham

Location: 43° 5.609′ N, 74° 16.909′ W. Marker is in Mayfield, New York, in Fulton County. Marker is on Riceville Road south of Phelps Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is mounted on a boulder beside the Riceville Cemetery at the side of the road.

Erected in: 1937

Marker reads: “Captain Solomon Woodworth Sergeant John Dunham Frontier Rangers Killed in the Battle of West Canada Creek September 7, 1781 Buried Where They Fell. They Gave the Cause of Freedom The Last Full Measure of Devotion”

View Map

Indian Raid

Location: 43° 7.075′ N, 74° 15.383′ W. Marker is in Mayfield, New York, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of Paradise Point Road and Furguson Road, on the right when traveling east on Paradise Point Road.

Erected in: 1938 by the New York State Education Department.

Marker reads: “Jacob Dunham and Samuel, His Son, Killed Here April 1779. Others of the Family Escaped by Hiding in The Woods. Site of Their Home.”

View Map

Mayfield Fort

Location: 43° 5.181′ N, 74° 14.46′ W. Marker is in Mayfield, New York, in Fulton County. Marker is on Vandenburgh Point Road, on the right when traveling south.

Erected in: 1932 by the New York State Education Department.

Marker reads: “Built and Garrisoned During the Revolution as A Refuge for Settlers Of Vicinity “

View Map

Rice Homestead

Location: 43° 6.006′ N, 74° 16.658′ W. Marker is in Mayfield, New York, in Fulton County. Marker is on Riceville Road 0.2 miles south of Knoll Rd. – 2nd Ave. Ext.

Erected in: 1932 by the New York State Education Department.

Marker reads: “Built about 1790 by Oliver Rice a soldier of the American Revolution, serving under General Washington”

View Map

Riceville Cemetery

Location: 43° 5.609′ N, 74° 16.909′ W. Marker is in Mayfield, New York, in Fulton County. Marker is on Riceville Road south of Phelps Street, on the right when traveling south. Riceville is a hamlet near the junction of Routes NY-30 and NY-30A within the Town of Mayfield.

Erected in: 1932 by the New York State Education Department.

Marker reads: “Here are Buried Jonathan Fisk-Oliver Rice-William Woodworth-Samuel Woodworth-Jesse Foote-Isaac Bemis-Jonathan Canfield-Soldiers of The Revolution”

View Map

Romeyn’s Mill

Location: 43° 5.85′ N, 74° 15.407′ W. Marker is in Mayfield, New York, in Fulton County. Marker is on School Street, on the right when traveling north. The Romeyn’s Mill Marker is at the north end of the bridge that spans the spill way that seperates Mayfield Little Lake Outlet and the Great Sacandaga Reservoir. Marker also overlooks the nearby Mayfield Marina.

Erected in: 1932 by the New York State Education Department.

Marker reads: “Site Of Romeyn’s Mill Erected 1773 by Sir William Johnson. Burned During Revolution. Rebuilt by Col. Abraham Romeyn. Commander Montgomery County Militia”

View Map

Northville Depot

Location: 43° 13.439′ N, 74° 11.066′ W. Marker is near Northville, New York, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of Bridge Street and County Route 152, on the right when traveling west on Bridge Street. Marker is opposite County Route 152, between Route 30 and the bridge to Northville.

Erected by: Fulton County R. R. Historians.

Marker reads: “1875 – 1930 F J & G R. R. Northern Terminal Rail Route To Adirondacks. Sacandaga Amusement Park 1 Mi. South Coney Island of The North”

View Map

Adirondack Inn

Location: 43° 12.968′ N, 74° 11.258′ W. Marker is near Village of Northville, New York, in Fulton County. Marker is on McKinley Avenue just east of New York Route 30, on the right when traveling west. South of the Village of Northville, in a hamlet known as Sacandaga Park.

Erected in: 2001 by Fulton County Historian.

Marker reads: “Site of the Adirondack Inn Built in 1891 by the FJG RR Considered the Gem Of Sacandaga Park this ornate wood structure burned 1975”

View Map

Sacandaga Public Campsite

Location: 43° 21.571′ N, 74° 17.33′ W. Marker is in Wells, New York, in Hamilton County. Marker can be reached from State Highway 30. The marker is not visible from the state highway since it is posted beside the road within the campground. The marker is just beyond and opposite the caretaker’s cottage in the campground.

Erected in: 1935 by the New York State Education and Conservation Departments.

Marker reads: “1885 – 1935 Campsite. Sacandaga Public Campsite. One of the First Two Built On Forest Preserve Land In 1920 by the Conservation Dept. For Public Recreation.”

View Map

Barker’s Store

Location: 43° 13.291′ N, 74° 6.23′ W. Marker is in Edinburg, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is at the intersection of Military Road and North Shore Road (County Route 4), on the right when traveling south on Military Road. The marker is posted in front of the store at the intersection of Pucker Street, Military Road, and North Shore Road, which is County Route 4, just to the north of the Edinburg 4 Corners area.

Erected by: the Town of Edinburg.

Marker reads: “Built in 1847 by John Barker. Operated Continuously As A Store Until 1945. Believed To Have Been A Stop On The Underground Railroad.”

View Map

Batchellerville Presbyterian Church

Location: 43° 12.551′ N, 74° 4.893′ W. Marker is in Edinburg, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is on South Shore Road near Degolia Road, on the right when traveling west. The marker, and the church building, are located near the east end of the Batchellerville Bridge which crosses the Sacandaga Lake.

Erected by: the Town of Edinburg.

Marker reads: “Batchellerville Presbyterian Church Erected 1867, Moved To Present Site 1930 To Escape Rising Waters Of Sacandaga Reservoir.”

View Map

Carriage Shop

Location: 43° 13.247′ N, 74° 6.095′ W. Marker is in Edinburg, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is on North Shore Road (County Route 4), on the right when traveling north. Just up the hill from the Copeland Covered Bridge.

Erected in: the Town of Edinburg

Marker reads: “Erected Prior to 1828, Arad & Leonard Copeland operated the water – powered shop. In 1884 converted to machine shop by John W. Latcher.”

View Map

The Copeland Covered Bridge

Location: 43° 13.258′ N, 74° 6.021′ W. Marker is in Edinburg, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is on North Shore Road (County Route 4), on the right when traveling east. The marker and covered bridge are located near the 4 corners intersection of Edinburg and the Batchellerville Bridge which crosses the northern arm of the Great Sacandaga Lake.

Erected in: 1999 by the Town of Edinburg.

Marker reads: “Built by Arad Copeland below Beecher Falls in 1879. Only NYS Queenpost Truss Bridge. Placed on NYS and National Register in 1998”

Additional Information:
The Copeland Covered Bridge is viewed as one of the Great Sacandaga Lake’s most prized historical sites. In 1879 Arad Copeland (1805-1884) decided to build the covered bridge that still stands today. According to family legend local residents Melzor Manning laid the stones, Jacob Latcher hewed the timbers and Azariah Ellithorpe Jr. framed the bridge. The bridge can be found just off North Shore Rd, on the right hand side, about a 1/2 mile down from the four corners in Edinburg.

View Map

Hadley Mountain Fire Tower

Location: 43° 22.327′ N, 73° 57.041′ W. Marker is near Hadley, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is on Tower Road, on the right when traveling south. The Marker is at the beginning of the Trail, at the edge of the trailhead parking area

Erected in: 1999 by the Town of Hadley.

Marker reads: “Fire Tower Erected of wood in 1916 Steel tower erected in 1920 Cabin built to house ranger Closed 1990, restored and staffed summers from 1996”

View Map